Update 21/3/17 I have updated this to indicate the winners: titles in bold won that category.
#EpicFail: I’ve only read one of these. Either I am reading all the wrong books, or they are.
(If you look at my post about the longlist, you can see why I am disappointed on behalf of some very fine authors omitted from the fiction shortlist: Georgia Blain, Steve Amsterdam, Emily Maguire). But maybe we should just rename these The Bestsellers Awards and be done with it.)
All links are to Readings bookshop.
- The Good People by Hannah Kent
- Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty
- Where the Trees Were by Inga Simpson
- The Last Painting of Sara de Vos by Dominic Smith, see my review
- The Hate Race by Maxine Beneba Clarke
- Ghost Empire by Richard Fidler
- Fight Like a Girl by Clementine Ford
- Everywhere I Look by Helen Garner
- The Birdman’s Wife by Melissa Ashley
- The Midnight Watch by David Dyer
- The Dry by Jane Harper (this also won The Book of the Year Award)
- Goodwood by Holly Throsby
- Circle by Jeannie Baker
- Pig the Winner by Aaron Blabey
- The 78-Storey Treehouse by Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton
- Wormwood Mire by Judith Rossell
- When Michael Met Mina by Randa Abdel-Fattah
- Gemina by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
- The Road to Winter by Mark Smith
- Our Chemical Hearts by Krystal Sutherland
- Words in Deep Water by Cath Crowley
Each category winner receives $1000, with additional $2000 sponsored by HarperCollins Australia for the book of the year.